Queue up Mamma Mia and grab the baklava because we’re having a Greek Chicken Bowl tonight! This simplified Greek-inspired bowl has become a favorite around here! The ingredient combination is so fresh and light and yet so filling. You’ll love eating it as much as you’ll love looking at the beautiful colors in your bowl.
My husband and I love incorporating Mediterranean dishes into our meal rotation. Back in college, we loved taking trips to the Greek restaurant down the road to get our gyro fix. Even our last house was a stone’s throw away from a Greek market. With my husband’s Greek heritage, visiting Greece is a high priority for us. Until then, we will just eat Greek dishes. 🙂
Greek Chicken Bowl
- 2 Shallots
- 2 Persian Cucumbers
- 2 Roma Tomatoes
- 1 Lemon
- 2 tbsp Fresh Dill
- 8.8 oz. Plain Israeli Pearl Couscous
- 2 packets Chicken Stock Concentrate
- 1.5 lbs. Chicken, skinless and boneless
- 1 cup Feta Cheese
- 4 tbsp. Plain Greek Yogurt (or Sour Cream)
- 8 tbsp. Hummus
- Za'atar Spice Blend, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Olive Oil, to taste
Prep the produce:
- Finely dice the tomatoes, cucumbers, dill, and one of the shallots.
- Zest the lemon and then cut it into quarters.
- Then, thinly slice the other shallot.
Start the salad:
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine all of the tomatoes, cucumbers, dill, and the sliced shallot.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil, juice from half of the lemon, and salt and pepper to taste.
Cook the couscous:
- In a medium sauce pan, add the minced shallot and sautee in olive oil until softened.
- Then, add the couscous and the two packets of chicken stock concentrate to the pan. Follow the cooking instructions on the couscous box. See recipe notes for recommendations.
- Once finished, remove from heat but keep covered until ready to serve. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Prepare the poultry:
- While the couscous is cooking, fillet your chicken breasts and pat dry. Season generously with salt, pepper, and za'atar spice blend. See recipe notes for recommendations.
- In a large pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pan but don't crowd the pan. Cook until browned and cooked all the way through. About 5 minutes per side.
- Once complete, transfer to a cutting board and slice into bite-sized pieces.
Stir the sauce:
- While the chicken cooks, combine the feta, Greek yogurt (or sour cream), and lemon zest to taste in a small bowl. Mash all ingredients with a fork.
- Add water 1 tsp at a time until the desired drizzling mixture is achieved.
Prep the plates:
- In each dinner bowl, generously coat the bottom with a hummus spread.
- Divide the couscous and salad among the bowls, top with chicken, and then drizzle the sauce.
- Garnish with some remaining dill and a squeeze of lemon juice.